Wednesday, April 23, 2008

the farmhouse sink...

i love the farmhouse sink...probably b/c it has that vintage feel that i am constantly going back to. i can't help it, it totally gets me. there are so many choices out there when it comes to this deep utilitarian sink basin. believe me, i just spent my afternoon yesterday and then again last night, trying to decide on the right one for a job i am working on. there are so many sizes out there. we have found that it is really important to know exactly which farmhouse sink you are going to use when you start the "kitchen designing process"....this is especially true if you are going to use a vintage one. and the quality of the product varies a lot according to the vendor (we weren't very pleased w/ one we just put into a kitchen this week). plus, you have to keep in mind that many of them taper at the bottom- generally this is found in the ones made from porous fireclay. just a little info i thought i would pass along in case any of you are in the market for a fab farmhouse sink!

12 comments:

pve design said...

hop on over to london calling and you will see that great and clever minds think alike. she is using a farmhouse sink, and wait til you see her her oven!

please sir said...

I LOVE the farmhouse sink too...one day in a big country house!!

Jennifer said...

ooohh that one's pretty!

Anonymous said...

Great info. I do love a farmhouse sink.

Katherine Lee said...

so super cool! i LOVE your blog. i work at domino mag and have just started my own design blog, www.urbanfleadesign.com. i linked to your site, and would be forever indebted to you if you did the same for mine! in the meantime, keep up the awesome work and cheers!
xo Katherine aka. Urban Flea

Things That Inspire said...

I want a sink just like the one in this picture! This one isn't vintage though, is it? Do the 'new' ones have the same issues you mentioned?

Fifi Flowers said...

I saw that picture back in 2004 when I began my home remodel designs, and put it on a MUST have list! YES... I did get one! Mine is from Kohler and I love IT! It's perfect for washing big party platters... I LOVE to entertain. I have had mine for 3 years and have had no problems with it. You can see it in the distance of this picture http://fififlowersdesign.com/DSCN0805.JPG

Anonymous said...

this is the sink i want in my house!

Living the life in The Little City said...

We're in the midst of a gut renovation and I chose the Shaw Fireclay 36" farm sink. I really like how the drain is over to the side and not in the middle of the sink.

Unknown said...

which ones did you find to be better than fireclay...we are looking for our new kitchen now!

william Hayden said...

Hello Dude,

Farmhouse sink is getting really popular as it offers a lot of different choice to the home owners. They can get it in a traditional look or even a trendy look depending upon their choice. No other sink can beat them for a better utility. Thanks for sharing it.....

Prep Sink

Kristen said...

Okay the builder was here yesterday and told me to try this sink 1st he had to undo 2 so far and I have wanted this sink for a VERY LONG time...Which brand is best? And are they hard to keep clean after washing pots & pans?
Thanks in advance!