Wednesday, April 7, 2010

my DR chairs....





for my b'day last year i went to scott's and purchased 6 louis xvi chairs to go w/ my DR table. they have been great...so glad that i chose these b/c they are so comfortable and we sit in them all of the time. i knew i wanted to reupholster them....however, reupholstery doesn't come cheap. so i lived w/ the green chenille fabric on them until christmas. when my mom and mother-in-law asked me what i wanted, i quickly replied my DR chairs recovered! we got 4 done and as much as i hated it, i decided to go w/ double cording instead of the nailhead trim (it was sad to loose that look but let me just tell you, individual nail head trim adds about $50+ per chair to the cost). deciding the fabric was my next task. i wanted a stripe on the back...luckily, i had one yd of fabric leftover from a roman shade i had made (yep, the one that is now going into my son's room). so i was just debating b/w light and dark for the front. i loved two looks: one was what thomas o'brien did for dara caponigro's stylish abode and the other was ivanka trump's chairs. we opted for a chocolate brown linen/ cotton blend and i am so thankful i did....especially w/ young children....they show nothing. i wish i could show you them w/ the table but at this current time it's covered in cereal bowls leftover from breakfast, mail, and random magazines...and one of the chairs is sitting in the middle of the floor from where taylor was playing train! and to be honest, this is probably how my table looks 75% of the time :)

*top three images courtesy of domino, bottom two are mine

25 comments:

Maria Johns said...

Oh, Shannon I love them, the stripes look so great and your totally right about the dark color and small children, smart move!

Jen said...

i wanted these chairs for the longest time and i didn't know what they were called to look them up! oh i am in love. i wanted a single one for our office (kind of like the pic of the bedroom you displayed) but now that i've seen the whole bundle of them i want them all around our dining table!

i'm so glad you posted this!

Living It At Home said...

Your chairs look wonderful! I wish you could show us how they look in the room!

Living It At Home said...

Your chairs look wonderful. I love them. I wish you could show us more!

keely @ luxe + lillies said...

I have always thought these chairs added such visual value to a room. And I love that when you get sick of them you can reupholster them and keep them, definitely a forever piece. I bet yours are beautiful!

lisaroy said...

I love your chairs! I've got the square-backed ones and I've got the fronts and seats done in a stripe and the back done in a fleur des lis pattern. So comfy and they look sharp! : )

That Girl in Pearls said...

This is my kind of birthday present!! They look great!!

Beatriz.
thatgirlinpearls.com

Jennifer said...

LOVE THEM!

Anonymous said...

The chairs look great! I remember when we were little my mom had chairs with nailhead trim, and we would always get crumbs stuck around them. So it's probably better you went with the double cording!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I have similar chairs (mine are black wood with white fabric - scary considering I have a one-year-old). I want to recover mine in a good-looking vinyl (fake ostrich maybe?), add some pattern to the back and hopefully nailheads. A girl can dream...

kelleyp said...

they look amazing. have the same type chair from RH in natural linen. would love just to change out the backside of the chair to an ikat fabric i purchased without have the expense of reupholstering the entire thing. maybe a DIY project in my near future.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Beautiful! Can i tell you that nailhead is quite easy to do yourself (for the future).

The chairs look stunning!

Fabulously French said...

Yours look great! Today I painted the frames for two of mine with a Farrow & Ball dark gray amd they look fabulous. I also painted a Louis style dressing table the same colour which I am going to use as a desk in my showroom.

Leeann x

Louisa said...

They look amazing, Shannon! I love the catwalk fabric on the back. I am dying to do the same to my DR chairs.

Lila said...

I love all of those chair fabrics. I love the light frames the most!
Lila Ferraro
Queen Bedroom Sets

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

This type of dining chair is so much fun because you can do so much just with using a variety of fabrics. Great choice - they look wonderful and I'm glad someone else has trouble keeping things off the tabletops. I guess it's just an endless battle.

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Shannon,
I LOVE them!!! If you ever tire of them, you have my address....HA!

The Huntress said...

Love your chairs!!! here are mine, great minds think alike :)


http://thehuntresslives.blogspot.com/2009/10/dining-room-chairs-to-die-for.html

A Perfect Gray said...

those are stunnng and I don't mind one bit admitting my jealousy...

MB said...

Your chairs look amazing! They are beautiful and unique:)

paula said...

they look gorgeous! my chairs are at the reupholsters now. cant wait to get then back.

Chic Coles said...

Your birthday and christmas chairs look great. Love the fabrics and wood finish. Really loving the brown linen. Thanks so much for sharing.

Sketch42 said...

Love! You did a great job, they look aweosme!

traci zeller designs said...

Those chairs are fabulous!!! And - with twin boys (almost 4 years old) - that's how my table looks, too. ;-)

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

I want 4 of those chairs as well...so lovely. Where is Scott's?


Jen Ramos
madebygirl.blogspot.com