Wednesday, August 1, 2012





on monday, i surprised my mom for her b'day and went home.  my hometown is small; i grew up downtown next to the college.  we could walk everywhere: to church, to the bakery to get candy and smiley face cookies, to my parents' offices, to school (i actually only did it twice & hated every minute of it), to restaurants, and to our favorite hangouts to meet old friends....
i love going back.  i always go to the same places, now w/ my kids, maybe to recreate my childhood memories: smiley face cookies, chocolate glazed doughnuts (my dad got these every sat. am), story time at the library (which happens to be done by my mother still)...i've added a few new things: a walk to get the best coffee (drew barrymore stopped here too), i pop into the local antique stores (that don't have air conditioning for some reason), i always visit the post office (i haul fabric everywhere), and a quick trip into the cute clothing boutiques.  yesterday, i walked to pick up my mom's favorite chicken salad, i took the short cut through the bank to get there, and i passed so many familiar faces.  it made me smile.  that is something that you cannot replace....it's just home.  and it feels so good.

18 comments:

Kare said...

Lovely post. I'm seriously in love with that closet!

Sheree said...

obsessed with these photos..I love all white interiors..usually with pops of color but these are gorg!
sheree x
www.itsnotthatdeep.com

Little Fish said...

I LOVE going back home to my small town too! Hope you and your family are doing well! xx Brook

The enchanted home said...

This really resonated with me...so agree truly there is nothing like going home. Its amazing how all those sweet childhood memories come flooding back and cannot help but put a smile on my face! Love and enjoyed your nostalgic recollection of going home.

Lauren said...

I have very similar memories of my small hometown. Living in a big city is nice, but it makes going home all the more special.

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

why are all of your images the yummiest?>!> love them. happy belated to your momma :)

High Cotton Style said...

In love with that bathroom! I'm moving away from my hometown for the first time...sweet, sweet memories!

Mimi said...

Love the grey built in and grey and white checkerboard floor! I just never get sick of grey.. love it!

Anonymous said...

Agreed-- there is nothing quite like the feeling of being at home home. Lovingg all these sumptuous neutrals :)

Stylelinx said...

Great images! Can you tell me whose mettalic top that is? Thanks!

Simona said...

Came to your blog via pinterest and I love it, your sense of color is amazing! I am following now, xx
simona
www.lakenmoon.blogspot.com

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

Sweet post. Home is good. Give me a shout next time you're in town working with your SI client.

Marianne Brown said...

Shannon,
Thank you so much for posting a pic of my bathroom! I've been a long time follower and feel so flattered you posted it with such beautiful pictures.

Great post.
Marianne Brown
whiteandgolddesign.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I just spent a month back home in my small town and couldn't wait to write about it. I was reading your blog and though how cool, she loves her small town upbringing too, but it wasn't until I read the part about your Dad getting chocolate donuts every Saturday morning that I had to write! One of my favorite memories of childhood, Saturday mornings, the only time cartoons came on and lots of donuts. Awesome!

jennifer
vreelandroad.blogspot.com

Roberta said...

There's no place like home...I hope my girls feel that way when they come home with their babies next month. Love the gray dressing room with the checkered floor. Lovely post!

hd wallpaper said...

nice realy nice

kmac said...

Anyone know where the glass desk is from???

tkmccrary.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I adore this post!